Goals for National Save for Retirement Week: • Make employees more aware of how critical it is to save now for their financial future
• Promote the benefits of getting started saving for retirement today
• Encourage employees to take full advantage of their employer-sponsored plans by increasing their contributions
April: Contact Your Retirement Plan Service Provider to Discuss NS4RW Promotion
April should be used to begin conversations with your Retirement Plan Services Provider to discuss what materials, support and resources they can provide to help support NS4RW.
July/August: Begin Strategizing and Discussing Details
July and August should be used to discuss and start to prepare for the upcoming NS4RW promotion and activities. While it may seem that there is a lot of time prior to the event, organizing this type of activity is much easier if done in steps and planned out over time.
For August, it is recommended that you continue conversations with your Retirement Plan Services Provider to analyze resources and materials and you should consider holding a kick-off meeting. Prior to the kick-off meeting, you will want to review the resources and materials available through NAGDCA.
Arrange for the materials you will want to hand out during NS4RW. Plan Sponsors in the past have had balloons, brochures, stickers, etc. Materials that tie into the activities that you have planned are always the most effective. For example, if you will be having a workshop, you could use NS4RW pens or pads of paper. Or for a picnic or movie, you could provide popcorn bags with a “Saving For Retirement” message. These types of materials often have a longer production time and therefore should be finalized in early September.
Finalize location of the NS4RW meetings and activities. Reserving and finalizing rooms, public areas, etc. at this point it is important so that communications can be built around this information.
Order food or giveaways for the event.
Schedule planned presenters and any activities that require a reservations.
Review and approve communication materials. This includes flyers, e-mails, lunch room table toppers, additional signage, etc.
Identify and prepare for delivery methods.
o For example, do you want to mail a postcard to participants' homes? Do you want the mailing to arrive prior to NS4RW or at the very beginning? This will affect when you will need materials. Also, don't forget about mail files, which can take some time to prepare.
o Or, do you want an interoffice mailer promoting the events occurring?
Prepare and receive approval on press releases for distribution during October. Here is a Sample Press Release
October: Finalize Details and Program Implementation During early October, you will want to finalize and confirm any outstanding details for your National Save for Retirement Week plans.
The first and second week in October you will want to:
• Receive materials you want distributed prior to the event through the mail or interoffice. This includes mail files if appropriate.
• Confirm communications promoting activities during the week are placed in high impact locations.
• Confirm proclamation has been approved and is ready to be promoted.
• Prepare press release(s) for distribution.
• If you would like to receive attendance by a local reporter at one of your activities, you will want to contact and send out a press release to the local press the week of October 7st. Follow-up with a phone call.
• This would also be a good time to determine baselines in order to measure success later. For example, the number of participants, asset allocation, contribution levels, etc.
The third week of October you will want to:
• Mail out any material you have designed to arrive during NS4RW.
• For notice in the paper about the events occurring, a press release can go out a couple days prior or during NS4RW.